Little Rock-based gardening and lifestyle expert P. Allen Smith offers this appealing recipe for Peppermint Hot Chocolate to keep you warm.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 ½ cups of milk (or unsweetened soymilk)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Peppermint schnapps to taste
- Peppermint sticks to garnish
Heat sugar, milk and salt in a saucepan over a low heat. Do not boil. Add chocolate. Stir constantly until the chocolate melts.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract.
Divide hot chocolate between 4 cups and add an ounce or so of peppermint schnapps to each cup. Drop in a few marshmallows and a peppermint stick.
Makes four servings -- the more schnapps, the merrier!