Image by Oaklawn
The world-famous corned beef sandwiches made InArkansas.com's list of things to try this weekend at Oaklawn's 2013 season opener. Saturday, get your fix for just 50 cents.
It's that time of the year again when the state's only horse track hits the ground running. Oaklawn's 2013 season opener is tomorrow (Jan. 11) and with the new season are some new food and beverage options, as well as old favorites.
Get your taste buds ready-- here are InArkansas.com's five things to try this opening weekend, not all at the same time:
- Corned beef sandwich: The sandwich needs no introduction at Oaklawn. Chances are, you've had the world-famous sandwich. The hearty sammy has a short ingredient list-- just rye bread, a pile of old-fashioned corned beef and your choice of reuben staples like saukerkraut, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing. Get your corned beef fix at several places around the main concourse and at the Sports Tavern. What's great about trying this delicious treat-- they're 50 cents and sodas are just 10 cents on Saturday. Talk about a great deal!
- Homestretch Hot Brews and Cool Treats: This new shop addition to the already long list of food and libation spots is something worth trying out. It's hard to single out one thing-- after all, the lineup includes a slew specialty coffee drinks and ice cream treats. The Westrock Coffee's fresh-ground Oaklawn blend is sure to put a little spring in your step before the races get underway. For something sweet, try a frozen treat, with or without flavored liqueur. The new signature items include the Mudder, Fantasy, Apple Blossom and Honeybee. One word: Yum.
- Burritos: Mexican food is probably at the top of our favorite cuisine list, so when we were told about the Daily Double Deli's new offering of burritos, we were ecstatic. Beef, chicken and beans are in the burrito lineup. Queso nachos or beef or chicken nacho salads will also be on the menu, so dig in!
- Bloody Marys: Oaklawn is offering a few new adult beverage options this season, in addition the enhanced food and beverage items on the first floor. We're excited about the Side Bet Bar, located on the Mezzannine level. It will feature a special place to whip up your very own Bloody Marys. Complete with Absolut vodka, make the traditional morning cocktail as spicy or savory as you want. My preference-- about medium spiciness.
- Bread pudding: No trip to Oaklawn will be complete without its famous bread pudding, topped with whiskey sauce. Oaklawn's traditional recipe can be found at The Carousel buffet and other dining hot spots around the track.
Of course, Oaklawn will have more food and beverage options available to choose from. See what else you might like to try here.
The 2013 live meet runs from Jan. 11 through April 13, when it culminates with the 77th running of the $1 million Arkansas Derby. Catch the races every Thursday – Sunday. The first post is 1:30 p.m. weekdays and Sundays and 1 p.m. on Saturdays and Holiday Mondays. For more information, click here.