Image by Kat Robinson
The coconut meringue pie at Charlotte's Eats & Sweets in Keo is perhaps its most famous of its long list of delicious treats.
We love pie! Who doesn't?
In honor of National Pie Day today (Jan. 23), we're highlighting a few places to get a delicious slice of pie in and around central Arkansas with the help of Kat Robinson's book Arkansas Pie: A Delicious Slice of the Natural State. Like some of the suggestions? We are giving away a copy of the book today! Find out how to enter at the very bottom of the post.
Here are five places (and pies) to check out:
- Three Sam's Barbeque Joint (Mabelvale), Recommended Pie: Peanut butter pie. After feasting on one of the mouth-watering barbeque sandwiches, don't forget about this super peanut-buttery pie that is topped with peanuts and chunks of peanut butter cups. Robinson said the mousse-style filling was dense and a little salty, in addition to being sweet.
- Bobby's Country Cookin' (Little Rock): There are so many made-from-scratch pies to choose from, where do you start? Coconut and chocolate pie, as well as pecan pie and cherry cream cheese pie are restaurant staples that are always on the menu. And don't forget about the others in rotation-- key lime, vanilla chocolate chip, lemon ice box, mint chocolate chip, peanut butter or strawberry.
- Charlotte's Eats & Sweets (Keo), Recommended Pie: Coconut meringue. You might have to travel a little far for this one, but it's worth it! This renowned sit-down restaurant is nationally known for its pie, especially its coconut meringue.
- Lindsay's Hospitality House (North Little Rock), Recommended Pie: Sweet potato pie. As Robinson says, the best barbeque places serve up delicious pie, and Lindsay's Hospitality House is no exception. The sweet potato pie-- a strong-flavored pie with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice-- is a must at the eatery.
- Ed and Kay's Restaurant (Benton): Known as the "Mile-High Pie Shop," this spot serves up a delicious coconut and chocolate meringue pie, along with Robinson's favorite, the PCP-- made up of pineapple, coconut and pecan.
Here are a few other options to get a yummy slice of pie in the area:
Sim's Bar-B-Que (Little Rock)
The Wagon Wheel Restaurant (Greenbrier)
Ashley's and Capital Bar and Grill at the Capital Hotel (Little Rock)
Hunka Pie (Little Rock)
E's Bistro (North Little Rock)
Would you like a copy of Kat Robinson's book? We're giving a copy away today! Tell us in the comment box below what one suggested place listed above that you're hoping to visit today or this week for a slice 'o pie by 3 p.m. today (Jan. 23). A winner will be notified by email at 3:30 p.m.